If you are a licensed radio operator for CERT, this is what you’ve been waiting for!
On Thursday, November 16th, 7:00 PM at Central Station, the Allen CERT Communications team will host a training event aimed at teaching the basics of emergency communications, as well as cover essential hardware operations for Baofeng radios.
- Proper hardware positioning
- Antenna orientation
- Radio vernacular
- Call sign protocols
- Do’s and Don’ts
- Field operations
Radio programming services will be provided so don’t forget to bring those radios.
Don’t miss this rare opportunity to cover two topics in one sitting, and walk away a more capable radio operator for CERT functions.
However impressive the Disaster Simulations for Allen CERT may be, we always have room for correction and improvement. This year is no different and we must evaluate the output if we hope to continue delivering a best-in-class experience for our students, members, and community.
Join us at Central Station on Wednesday, November 29th at 7:00 PM for a formal debrief of this year’s Disaster Simulation. Please come prepared with both positive and negative input that will be incorporated into the After Action Report (AAR).
Chris Smith has organized an online store for ordering your own Allen CERT swag. You will find a wide variety of apparel including t-shirts, jackets, vests, hats, and bags.
Note: You will need to create an account before placing an order.
Click here to start shopping
Ready for the New Year
Events for 2018 are now posted to our shared calendar and a few things are changing. Here’s a summary of what to expect starting January 01:
- Steering Committee Meetings will move to the 4th Wednesday of each month. The start time of 19:30 and location remain the same. This will allow us to focus on the events and planning activities for the upcoming month.
- Meet & Greet will be re-branded as the Annual Banquet and will adopt a new format and location. Stay tuned for details.
- Amateur Radio Nets will continue on their current schedule; 1st and 3rd Tuesday of each month, 20:00 – 21:00.
- Basic Training is slated to begin September 9th and continue through October 27th. An orientation will take place 3 weeks prior to start on August 16th.
- Continuing Education classes are still being scheduled. The popular “backpack” class has been slated for February 15th at Station 5. We will be searching for training classes offered by ancillary organizations and updating the calendar accordingly.
- A heavy focus will be placed on maintaining the trailers and equipment this year, often using events at Central Station as an opportunity to exercise the generator and chainsaws. There are minor upgrades planned for both trailers that will streamline storage and organization. Reach out to John Mascio if you have an interest in getting involved.
Stay In The Know
As always, you can subscribe to our calendar by clicking here, or view the calendar any time from our website.
Time to Clean Up!
As part of our contract with Keep Allen Beautiful, we must perform a routine cleanup of Century Parkway 4 times a year. Our next cleanup is scheduled for Saturday, November 18 at 10:00 AM. We also employ the use of amateur radio to facilitate the process and keep track of activities so this is a great opportunity to hone those skills, although amateur radio licensing is not a participation requirement for this event.
If you can spare 90 minutes on 11/18 to assist with the effort, type your below and click Submit. Remember: The more volunteers we have, the faster this goes.
The Allen Parks & Recreation Department is seeking help from Allen CERT to help facilitate this year’s Rudolph Run. The family friendly event is scheduled for Saturday, December 2nd at 8:00 AM and ends when the last runner crosses the finish line.
A preliminary headcount has been solicited so register below if you would like to volunteer. There are varying volunteer needs from race course monitors, to crowd control, and other miscellaneous responsibilities. This is also a great opportunity for radio operators to get some practice.
For more details on the Rudolph Run, go to http://www.cityofallen.org/1711/Rudolph-Run
Please sign up below then complete the Volunteer Form and email to email@example.com